- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Integration of Faith and Career

If you did not know, I am going to graduate school to receive my masters in Counseling Psychology. I am also attending a school that integrates faith into my classes. I have had a lot of questions on why this is important to me and today in class I realized why. 

If I did not believe in the Resurrection of Jesus, then I could not be a counselor. 
Now I am not saying you can only counsel people if you believe in God. I am saying that I could not counsel people if I did not believe in God.
I realize that as a counselor I have to believe my clients can die to their habits, tragedy, issues, whatever you want to call it. And then I need to believe they can rise again from death. 
If you are not tracking with me, then I am sorry. Putting this idea to words is difficult.

To make more sense I will give you an example from my life:
My first few weeks in Seattle were more difficult than I expected. I did not realize until lately that I had entered into depression and it was taking me to my grave. It seeped into every aspect of my life and I lost a little bit of who I was. Then one day the depression ended-it entered its death and I rose again back to the person I remember. 

The Resurrection story is so important to my career. 
I'm curious on how faith is integrated into your own career.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. "I realize that as a counselor I have to believe my clients can die to their habits, tragedy, issues, whatever you want to call it. And then I need to believe they can rise again from death. "

    Love the way you put this. Really, really good.

    ReplyDelete