- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

A Long Engagement


It's been about 9 months since I said "YES!" to marrying the man of my dreams.
I've shared a little bit about our future wedding plans, but today I want to share why we are choosing to have a long engagement.

1.| Schooling.
I am in my 3rd out of 4 years of graduate school at the moment and I really do not want to start a marriage while being in school. Because of school we would have had to get married in the summer and next year I start my internship. I know the first year of marriage is a lot of adjustment, learning how to live with the other sex, and just a lot of work. I do not want to add an internship on top of that.

2.| Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law.
My fiance's brother proposed to his girlfriend three weeks before we got engaged. 
I want them to be able to do all the wedding/marriage stuff first since they are older and got engaged first. Plus, I think it's fair to give my fiance's family a year between weddings.

3.| International Family
My mother's side of the family is all international. In order for any of these relatives who want to come for the wedding in either Seattle or Indiana, we need to give them ample time to save, prepare, and plan. International flights are not cheap and coordinating a big trip like that takes some time.



4.| Money
We really do not want to have debt from one event in our lives.
Yes, it is a major event, but it is not worth going into debt for. 
We are taking the extra time to search thoroughly on all of our vendors/options and saving for the big day.

5.| No rush.
Of course I would love to be married right now, but the timing in our lives is just busy, busy, busy and we need more time to prepare for the day we say "I Do." 
Some days I wish it was here already and other days I am enjoying this period of being engaged and dreaming and planning for out future life together.




Do you know of anyone who has had a long engagement?
Any advice or suggestions for us along the way?
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your engaged days because they will be gone before you know it! A long engagement made our bond even stronger and taught us patience along the way. The anticipation of your big day will make walking down the aisle all the more sweet! Really enjoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete