- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Well it is now Christmas, but I wanted to tell you about my Christmas Eve.

Christmas eve is time that should be spent preparing for the holidays, enjoying cooking with the family, enjoying time with the family, but that is not what I was doing. Instead, I was preparing for a crazy night at work. Making a list, checking it twice, trying to decide which table is going to be right, people were coming to the restaurant tonight! (Sung to the tune "Santa Clause is Coming to Town") It was hectic, crazy, and a tad disappointing.

In my mind people would be friendly, flexible, and thankful; instead we had angry, upset, and unappreciative. Servers sacrificed their time away from family to serve these gifts and they were treated unfairly. Even being a hostess I was treated unfairly. I was blamed for not seating people at the table I was "supposed" to know they wanted to sit at. I was the one to be disappointed in for not providing a "spectacular" evening for their family and them.

By the end of the night I was just mad, confused, and ready to go home. Where was the Christmas spirit? I was anticipating a fun and easy night (it was fun and a lot more easy than other holidays, but boy was I not prepared for this night) with happy people all around. I had one more hour of work left and then I could head home for two days off of work and I could not wait.

This couple came up to me and I was expecting them to be upset with me. First, the table I sat them at is probably every one's least favorite that come to the restaurant. It's in a corner surrounded by bigger tables and by the bathroom. Second, when we went to seat them the table was not cleaned so they stood and watched the other hostess clean their table (doesn't sound like a big deal, but people get very upset about that). But the couple sat down and I did not hear one peep from them until they left. While I prepared my self for "nasty" words, I was shocked to hear these words with a smile, "That was the best meal ever. Thank you so much for being open tonight, really, it was great. Thanks again and Merry Christmas."

And that made my whole night. To know out of 200 people we served tonight, that at least two were thankful we were sacrificing our time and sharing it with them. I know Thanksgiving is the day to be Thankful, but I think Christmas can add that aspect on to it.

So thank you to the wonderful couple who appreciated us tonight, thank you to my co-workers for cooperating and not yelling at me, and thank you to my family that always listens to me talk their ears off about things of zero importance to them.

Remember that Jesus is the reason for the season! Merry Christmas to you who are reading this and thanks for taking the time to listen as well. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment