- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Monday, December 20, 2010

What's in a name?

If your name was in the dictionary, what words would define you? Happy, joyful, sad, dissapointed, laughing, lost, confused, searching, wanting, looking, serious, funny, mean, disgusting, content, appreciative, kind....

There's so many words that define us today. I have been filling out applications for summer camp jobs and they ask what can you offer or tell me about your life story. And then they give you a little space.

First problem, that is not enough space. I've almost been alive for 20 years. Each year could be a book itself, yet they still ask you about your life. I just find it funny that you need to tell them on paper with a pen about your life. Shouldn't I show you by my actions?

Second, these applications are looking for great answers and positive words. I guess I just have a problem with the definition of what a great answer is and what makes words positive. So here's what I mean. One application gave me two words and told me which one to choose that best suits me. Decisive or Submissive. Where's the both? Decisive is the best choice. Submissive is the negative word. Well, I'm both and I believe submissive can be a positive word. I can make decisions, but I can also go along with someone elses decision. Now that's not a super great example of what I am talking about.

Another question they ask on the applications is if you have ever been convicted of a crime. Well, I haven't but I know if I circled yes then that would most likely rule me out. But like they say there is beauty in a making. I have heard the best conversion stories from individuals who have been convicted of a crime. You learn from living even if that meant you weren't living the way other's think is acceptable.

Here's the point: We all have negative and positive words that define us. Just remember each of those words have made you who you are. Some of those words may have been the word that used to describe you the best, but has been replaced because you find a new word to define you. So if you have the words lost, confused, searching, or desperate, wear them proud. They may have been associated as "negative" words, but those words are making you into the person you were called to be.

P.S. my post about forgiveness: I have never felt more free. It really works. Try it! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment