- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

ASL


So many times people assume television is a waste of time or useless. Sometimes this is true, I watch some pretty horrible, trashy tv. Switched at Birth is different thought.
Yes, it has all the drama a tv show needs, but it it also teaching me.

The show revolves around a deaf community and daughter so throughout the show I have been learning little pieces of sign language. And it reminded me of the class I took when I was little learning sign language.

I went out and bought a book to teach me more. And being the dreamer I am, I began to dream about how I could use sign language in my daily life and future. I thought about how I could use it as a counselor. I am sure I would not be the only one, but I have not met a counselor the speaks ASL. What if I became a counselor who could take on clients who use ASL? 

My only fear is that I do not finish learning the ASL signs. I start projects a lot of them and then do not finish them, but I really want to finish this one. I know school will start again in a few months and I'm afraid that I will stop once it starts up again.

Why is so easy to quit stuff sometimes? I go through these phases when I feel super motivated and other times I search forever for motivation. And then I wonder why I am so scared of quitting this learning experience. Is it the end of the world if I do quit? I know the answer is no, its not the end of the world. 

What do you do when you find yourself un-motivated to finish something? I am sure there's no right way, but I'm curious.

If I can figure out technology, I'd like to make some video blogs teaching you all what I am learning so be looking out for those videos to come!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I am also guilty of watching some trashy shows, but I'm glad you've at least found a way to gain something positive out of it! I've always wanted to learn ASL but never really committed. I wish I had some advice to give you about sticking to things, but I am awful for starting projects and then giving them up a week later!

    ReplyDelete