- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Friday, February 13, 2015

To See it OR Not to See It: 50 Shades of Grey

I have been back and forth whether to write about this movie or not.
I know there are a lot of opinions running around out there and I did not want to add one more, but I feel obligated to. Let me preference by saying I have never read the book. I do not know all the details or the whole story, but I do know about S&M and the basis of this movie.



I get it: this is just a way to have entertainment in your life; it's just a movie and it will not impact you; just because you watch it doesn't mean you support it. 
What I do not get is how many people do not understand what S&M is and why they choose to let this movie educate them about it. 
From the preview, it is clear that this movie portrays S&M as a way to get closer to someone, a way to be intimate, and a way to show someone you really love them.
Unfortunately, I do not believe any of that. 

I am a psychology major and we are taught the dangers of an S&M relationship. 
It is basically a power struggle between a couple. A power struggle of domination, submission, and abuse. Some people my disagree, but I encourage you to educate yourself about this type of relationship.

What I am most concerned about is the younger generation that is being targeted by this movie. I am concerned that they will believe this is the way to be intimate with another. I am concerned it will create ideas in their mind that will lead them to harm. 

I do not have all the words to express why I am not in support of this movie, but I did find an article that helps portray my understanding of this relationship presented in this movie.

Click here to read why Dr. Meeker believes this movie is not grey, but purely black.

The only reason I would ever watch this movie is to educate myself on what my future clients may have allowed to integrate into their lives. Either way I understand the decision to see it is an individual choice, but I hope if you do choose to see it that you do your research. If it is for entertainment, just remember the other times you've seen a movie and allowed it to affect your emotions or daily life. Art inspires and evokes things with us. 50 Shades of Grey is art in book and movie form. Be aware of what is inspired or evoked within you.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment