- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Monday, May 18, 2015

The Journey to Becoming a Psychologist

Oh, dear Lord, if you would have told me two years ago that the amount of personal work that comes with pursuing a masters in counseling degree I would have questioned you. And that's exactly what I did two years ago. I thought I had done all the work. I went to college and matured, right?


I have wanted to scream this so many times. It is a lie that you mature, find your identity, and any other cliche line they feed you when deciding to pursue a career, a degree, or anything after high school. Maturity comes when you do self-work and for me maturity is coming with pursuing my masters. I totally thought I knew myself through and through. I was going into this work to help others discover themselves, not me. 


Oh Rachel, you were so wrong. 
My masters program requires 40 hours of personal counseling.
I am on the last 4 hours of my 40 required and I am in this odd place.
On the one hand I am so excited to being almost done. I have been dying for the day when I can stop spending around $200 a month to work on myself.
Then there is the other part of me who, as much as it is hard to admit, does not want to end because there is still so much work to do.

And now I have thrown myself in to group counseling on top of individual counseling and I am wondering what in the world I was thinking. Yes, I am learning a lot, but my goodness it is hard. For any of you that do not believe in counseling, go to one group therapy session and you'll see how difficult the work people are doing is. It is good work, but it is so hard to do.


I am not really sure where I was going with this post other then to share part of my life at the moment and this journey I am on to begin my dream career. Be kind to those that pursue to better themselves, to those that go to counseling, leave counseling, or even consider counseling. The journey is not an easy one, but it is a brave one.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment