- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Getting Lost

During my freshman year of college, my friends and I happened to go on what I like to call a "country drive." It is exactly what it sounds like, a drive through the country. It was a great study break or stress reliever to just hop in the car with your friends and go see the beauty of nature; however, the beauty begins to look the same after about 5 minutes driving through it. The beautiful state of Indiana includes lots of cornfields and that is all you begin to see after 5 minutes into your trip. At this point, we could have easily turned around and went back home, but we decided to make it more fun. We all took turns giving directions saying left, right, straight, and the occasional backwards to get us laughing.

Since my freshman year, my friends and I have participated in this stress reliever multiple times a year. It has been an experience where we have grown closer with deep talks or have vented all of frustrations with school, life, and the world. As I was thinking about the next time I experience one of these country drives, I realized a unique part of the journey we impart on.

My friends and I purposely get lost to see if we can find our way back home. It is a time to discover something new and to come back as a new person. Most of the time when I get lost it means I took a wrong path or turn and have found myself at a place I have never been. Sometimes that place is scary and other times its exciting. This idea of getting lost relates so much to my life. Many times I take a wrong turn and wind up in a dark alley at my lowest point; other times I take a right turn and am presented with a new opportunity.

It is so healthy to get lost in life to remind us of who we are, to find ourselves again. I do not know about you, but this idea of purposefully getting lost is something I hope to do once a year whether it is on purpose or not. I need to get lost so I can reach a wake-up call or remember that someone has a greater path than I could have imagined.


So here's my advice: Go get lost this week and find yourself.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment