- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Snakes

So one thing you should know about me:
I am deathly afraid of snakes. 
Why?
I have no idea, but I will tell you that if I walk in tall grass I instantly think of snakes.
If there is a hole in the ground, you better bet a snake lives it.
And here is a very irrational thought, sometimes I even get nervous to go to the bathroom because I fear will come up and bite me.
Have I ever been bitten by a snake?
No, nor have I ever seen anyone else be bit by a snake.
Never the less, I am deathly afraid of snakes.

I am in abnormal psychology this semester and we are talking about phobias people have at the moment and I instantly started thinking about my fear of snakes which led to even deeper thoughts. I came to this conclusion that snakes have a deeper meaning than just themselves. The devil was a snake in the Garden of Eden and led to the world we live on today filled with deception, guilt, and fear. Yes, I am afraid of the actual reptile the snake, but I am also afraid of what the snake brings. I am nervous of the bite because I do not want to become evil and also become a snake. 

We talk a lot in my class about how to get over fears. Some say to sit in the room with the snakes until your anxiety or fear diminishes. Some say to hold the snake and feel it slither around on your arm. That is when it hit me that I do this with the Devil all the time. I sit in the temptation he slithers my way and sometimes I even grasp it and make it a part of my life. If I would not do this in my physical life, why would I do it in my spiritual life? This question shocked me and began to help me consider a lot of things going on in my life. I always have an opportunity to sit on a high throne and be righteous, but so many times I choose to lay on the ground amidst the dirt and be covered in filth. 

Royalty or peasantry?
Which have I chosen, which will I choose?
Which will you choose?
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment