- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Burning Fire To the Life that I Know

That itch has come around for change again.

(Play this if you want to know how I'm feeling while you read.)

Last year the itch was to do something other than school.
Instead of giving up on school, the change came in adding another year on to my schedule to free up more time and allow me to really take in what I am learning.

But nonetheless, the itch is back and it's really itchy.
I've been in the restaurant industry since I started working back in 2008. 
Hostess to server and this is where I've been.
In July, I switched to a new cheesecake factory and I think that got rid of the itch for a while, but now its back.

I won't lie: being a server can bring in a lot of money. 
If it's a good week of serving, I can make $500 in tips which does not include my hourly wage and that's typically a 25 hour work week at the most.
I'm fearful of unleashing that information because of the judgement servers receive for their pay by many.
Making that $500 is not easy and it is not guaranteed. 
On average I get stiffed by at least one table and get treated poorly by at least two during a shift.
I get yelled at for food being cooked wrong or because they are simply having a bad day.
Both are out of my control, yet I reap to anger and resentment. 

The job is draining my energy.
I have little desire to work at the moment.
And the itch is back for something new.
But I'm ignoring it because I'm not sure I can get a better job at the moment.
Being in grad school means you need flexibility with a job and cheesecake is so flexible.
They honor my school schedule, I can typically get a shift picked up if school work becomes too heavy, and the pay is just so good.

My plan is to ignore the itch until the end of the holiday season.
1.) Because it feels wrong of me to leave the restaurant during their busiest season. I've made a commitment to them and I will honor that.
2.) I cannot imagine finding a new job in the midst of the hardest part of my semester. 

But come January, I think I need to find a way to relieve my itch. 
I need a new direction or something new.
But I still need flexibility.

Maybe the itch is a different restaurant to serve at or something completely new to me.
Either way I need something new.

What jobs do you suggest for a student?
What part-time jobs were your favorite growing up?
Where do you suggest I go?


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. YES. SPOT ON. You and I always seem to be living parallel lives! I also find serving absolutely draining. It is NOT as easy as people think, and they should stop telling us that "the money is worth it though." Tipping habits have trained DRASTICALLY and it is no longer a "guaranteed" source of above-average income. Woof. And depending on people who are rude, inconsiderate for your life-giving money is just plain DISHEARTENING. I am also mentally trying to push myself to get through the holidays.

    Other places to look: 1) Look for fellowships, either in your program or nationally. They offer experience and a small stipend. 2) Sometimes local county health programs provide child care, and you can get a job as a child care worker. Churches also sometimes have paid child worker positions -- those were some of my favorite in school.

    ReplyDelete