- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

First Date Social Scripts

Some of you may be thinking this is a post about me talking about going on a date, but SURPRISE! I am actually talking about research I did this year. Now, just because I said research doesn't mean you should not continue reading. I actually discovered some things that may be of interest to you in the dating world. 

First, let me give you an idea of all the hard-work I did for this project. I spent the entire year creating a research project. Seeing as I'd like to be a relationship counselor in the future, I decided doing research on something with relationships would be important so first dates it was! Through out the year, I collected lots of research, designed my own study, collected data, and analyzed like a boss (not really, analysis is really difficult). 

So here is what I looked at and discovered:

Hypothesis 1: Men and Women would be in agreement about who does what on a date
-Since the 1950's, the social script has changed little meaning we have the same expectations of what will occur on a first date as our parents had or grandparents had when they were dating. While we are constantly evolving, this script has stayed the same.
-After collecting my data and analyzing, I found that this information is still true. We are aware of the social script and are in agreement about whether males or females perform the expected behavior on the date.
-What does this mean for you? It means you can stop freaking out about those first dates. You may ask yourself who is going to pay or plan the date, but with this script you know the answer. If males were the first things to come to your mind for these behaviors, then you are in agreement with the social script. Chill out, you know what will come. Now go on and have a great first date!

Hypothesis 2: Men would have more expected behaviors to complete on a first date.
-This was not found which I think is surprising. I thought guys would have much more to do on a first date as I feel like they are expected to do that. Guess I was wrong.
-What does this mean for you? Realize you have a part in the date. It's okay for you to think you have a role in the first date because you do.

Hypothesis 3: Women will be more egalitarian than males.
-First off, egalitarian means seeing behaviors as shared rather than divided. So in this case, women would expect to share behaviors rather than divide it between males and females.
-This was not found. Women may be egalitarian, but they are not more egalitarian than guys.
-What does this mean for you? Just because you think the date should have shared roles does not make you a feminist so feel free to use this on a date when a guy says you are acting as a feminist.

Sorry if you are not in to research, but this is super interesting and great stuff to know!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment