- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Monday, July 8, 2013

The Serving Life

I have worked in a restaurant for five years.
It's a love-hate relationship. It's the place that I want to be the most some days and then the place I avoid going on others.
I posted a few weeks back about what type of customers your encounter working in this business and now I'd like to share some things you learn in the restaurant.



1.) There is and will always be drama.
No matter what you do to avoid it, it is always there. "This server did this to me" or "can you believe she said that?" Someone is usually mad at another employee and there is constant gossip going around. My best advice is to listen, but do not contribute to it. Your co-workers will respect you for hearing them out and giving them the respect to listen to their frustrations. If you enter into the drama, just be prepared for what comes with it.

2.) Wash that apron! My goodness am I horrible about this. I usually just leave my apron in my car, so when it comes to laundry day I just forget to grab it. But you NEED to wash it! Your customers do not want to see salad dressing stains on your apron. Sure, it makes it seem like you are working hard, but its also just gross.

3.) Sometimes it is better to leave your opinions at home. Being a business major it has been hard for me to keep my mouth shut about how the business is run. Just because I think this is better does not mean everyone else will. Remember who owns the place. Sure, make some suggestions, but don't be demanding about it.

4.) Every server has a "server" voice. When I walk to my table, I have a more caring and kind voice than I do in the kitchen. It just happens. You don't even realize its happening until someone points it out to you. No, it does not mean you're being fake; it just means you need a different tone for certain situations.

5.) Tip others and you reap the rewards. It's my motto to tip other servers or coffee shops because its good karma. It's also the reap and sow parable. I truly believe if you bless others, you will be blessed as well. Even if its only $0.50 at the coffee shop, just do it!

6.) Own your serving skills. I hate big parties. They tip great, but I absolutely hate doing them. 6 or more people and my serving self gets a little freaked out. Everyone I works with knows that, so they always ask me if I want a party or not. You may not work at a restaurant that does this, but I fully believe you should let others know your comfort level. You love 2-4 tops? Great! Tell someone! 

7.) Be gracious and Be real. If you had a table that didn't treat you well, say thank you, but don't fake it. The tables I truly appreciate receive a very sincere and more gracious thanks at the end of service. The tables that make it difficult do not receive as gracious of one. But remember everyone is going through something so keep that in mind when you have a customer who seems disgruntled the entire meal.

8.) There is a whole different language in the restaurant world! 
86=we are out of that item
2 top, 4 top, 6 top, 20 top= the amount of people in the party or size of the table
Those are the two I find myself using in everyday language, but I know there are more.

Any other servers out there? What have you learned to be some life lessons as a server?

P.S. THIS GIRL JUST REGISTERED FOR GRADUATE CLASSES! IS THIS REAL LIFE???

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog through Meg's :)

    I served for almost 6 years and everything you said is spot on! I washed my apron a lot, but it was so hard when you worked for days non-stop. Tables can get so frustrating, but I certainly miss the money from serving!

    Congrats on your graduate classes! WOOP! That is something I want to do within 2 years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, I'm a new follower from the Monday Mingle. I guess it's indeed real life. Lol! Goodluck with grad school!

    I'd love it if you can follow me back :)


    xoxo
    ochibernadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete