- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Monday, June 17, 2013

Public Transportation

One of my fears of moving to Seattle is public transportation. Because Greenwood, Indiana does not use much public transportation this will be the first time I use it on a daily basis. I am nervous and scared. I don't know how to switch buses or how to make sure I get off at the right stop.
 
 
While I am scared, I was excited to read this quote and for the opportunity to people watch and interact with strangers on a daily basis. Who knows what I will encounter, but I am sure I will be sharing some very awkward and hilarious stories about this tidbit of Seattle life.
 
"Sometimes while I ride the subway I try to look at each person and imagine what they look like to someone who is totally in love with them. I think everyone has had someone look at them that way, whether it was a lover, or a parent, or a friend, whether they know it or not. It’s a wonderful thing, to look at someone to whom I would never be attracted and think about what looking at them feels like to someone who is devouring every part of their image, who has invisible strings that are connected to this person tied to every part of their body. I think this fun pastime is a way of cultivating compassion. It feels good to think about people that way, and to use that part of my mind that I think is traditionally reserved for a tiny portion of people I’ll meet in my life to appreciate the general public. I wish I thought about people like this more often. I think it’s the opposite of what our culture teaches us to do. We prefer to pick people apart to find their flaws. Cultivating these feelings of love or appreciation for random people, and even for people I don’t like, makes me a more forgiving and appreciative person toward myself and people I love. Also, it’s just a really excellent pastime."
-Dean Spade-

P.S. I thought of a great little blog series that I am excited to show you all in the next few weeks. I am still working on creating the posts, but prepare for emotional laughter. And to give you a hint, Taylor Swift music will be involved. Sorry if you hate her, but let's be real her songs describe most of our dating lives.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Over from Mingle Monday! I am so glad I found your blog! I love it! I am a new follower! Cant wait to read more :)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is a very interesting thought and it makes me rethink how I usually feel about being stuck on a train with lots of strangers on our way to work in the morning (luckily, for the last year those were only the memories, since we moved to a smaller town, biut anyways..!) It does make you feel better when you see something good in people around you! I should try it at some point. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete