- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Monday, April 15, 2013

Things I Learned From My Parents

With graduation right around the corner and my move to Seattle, I have been reminded of all that I am thankful for. My parents happen to be in that category so I thought I would write about the five things I have learned from each of them.
 
Mom
1.) Hospitality-This woman knows how to throw a party and welcome anyone into our home. I appreciate that this rubbed off on me. I think it's one of the reasons I am a great hostess and why I love to have parties with people over.
 
2.) Stick your ground- You could say we are both stubborn. We get stories wrong, but insist our version is wrong. While stubborn is seen as a negative characteristic, I see it as a positive in this case. She has taught me stand up for what is right and to have standards.
 
3.) Royalty- I always joke how my mother thinks she is the Queen of England mainly because she likes fancy things and is from England. Never did I realize she was reminding me that I am the daughter of a king and that I am royal. From this, I always strive to be treated right by any human being and help others to do the same.
 
4.) Comfort when needed- I used to get so upset when my mom would not comfort me when I was crying sometimes. I could be having the worst day, crying in my room and she would just let me be. Little did I know, it taught me how to overcome struggles on my own and how to accept comfort when I don't want it. She is the woman who hugs me when I say no and leaves me to be when all I want is a hug. It sounds twisted, but I appreciate it so much. She doesn't let me dwell on things too long and when she thinks I need to spend time crying it out she hugs me and makes me cry. The woman is sneaky!
 
5.) Find a man who will laugh at all your quirks- My father is my mothers second husband. It may have been a rough road to find him, but she did and it is evident how much she loves him even though he drives her crazy. I love when they start laughing because of the silly every day occurrence's and when they can't stop kissing each other despite how grossed out my brother and I am. She has taught me to wait for a man who will treat me the way my father treats her.
 
Dad
1.) Leadership- My father taught me a lot of leadership qualities over the years: know how to listen, be reliable, lead when least expected, remember who the number one leader is. He has led me and that leadership has allowed me to lead others.
 
2.) Work hard- My dad is passionate for music, an industry that is difficult and rocky. He continues to pursue his dreams and it has rubbed off on me. My work ethic is crazy ridiculous and I think it has to do with the fact he makes me pay for the things I really want.
 
3.) Financial Stability- Despite how much I hate these talks and always leave in tears, his obsession with finances has helped me be a better steward with my money. Sure, I still have a lot of room to improve on this, but I am much better than I was 4 years ago. He has taught me the value of money and the effects it can have on you when you do not use it right.
 
4.) Creativity- He and I two-peas in a pod. We love music, we love art, we get crazy ideas. He has allowed me to find a love for music on my own despite it is his passion. Our creative minds connect us.
 
5.) Room to make my own mistakes-Sometimes all I want is for my parents to tell me what to do, yet they still make sure I am the one who makes the decision. It can be frustrating, but it has made me the person I am. They trust me and have faith in me; especially my dad. My mom is the advice giver, but he is the one who listens and gives you that nugget of knowledge every once in a while.
 
I wouldn't be who I am today without the love and support of these two. They are my number one fans and accept me for me. Love you mom and dad!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment