- See more at: http://www.heleneinbetween.com/2015/10/how-to-make-blog-post-title-come-before.html#sthash.1qAhHSsz.dpuf

Friday, April 13, 2012

What is your dream job and why?

As I entered my Freshman year of college, I was set on being a youth minister. That is why I chose a Christian college, but I did not realize God would have other plans for me. I took my first religion class Freshman year and I struggled. I would call my dad so furious because I did not agree with what the class was saying. We would have long talks about how this occurs in the church a lot and how he has handled situations like this in the past. During this time, I was also dabbling with the idea of doing social work. It seemed like an area I could see myself in, but I also had this feeling that I would leave work crying everyday and I already cry too much. With that, I said no to youth leadership and social worker and found myself undecided. 

I ended up loving my religion class but I was not feeling drawn to a career in the church anymore. So, I headed over to the career development office at good ole Anderson and met with an adviser. She advised me to take a class in every area I was interested in, which was Christian Ministries, Psychology, and Business. I did just that. I took Intro to Church Ministries, Intro to Business, and I had already taken General Psychology so I knew Psychology was a class I enjoyed. 

I loved both of the classes I took, but I really desired to do counseling. Psychology became my main focus and I chose Business as a complimentary major. Best decision ever! Both of these degrees fit me perfectly and I love most of the classes I take in each field. After I choose these two degrees, I began to have a lot of people question why I wanted a Psychology and Business degree. Eventually I just got fed up with people asking me and began to look for an answer that would blow them out of the water. 

While my response to people tends to blow them out of the water, I also discovered that this is God's plan for my life. When graduate school is done, I want to be a family/relationship counselor for a couple of years. After those couple of years, I want to begin my dream. I will own a Bed & Breakfast and a halfway house. Individuals who need help getting back on their feet will stay at the halfway house where they can receive free counseling and learn life skills. To earn their own money, they will work at the B&B and find a sense of worth in earning things on their own. 

That is just a quick snippet of my dream, but I cannot wait to start it! 
I'd love to hear others dream jobs as well so please leave a comment and let me know!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. My friend is going to a degree in family/relationship counseling too! As for owning a Bed and Breakfast that sounds like an amazing job and something I would really enjoy myself. But if I could do anything... it would to be a play disney princess at disney world... is that strange? I just love the magical place and how kids light up seeing the characters come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that is strange at all. I have had some college friends who have actually done an internship working for Disney World for a semester and they loved it. I think Disney is a great company to work for. Have you ever pursued a career there?

    ReplyDelete